Josam Stainless Steel Trench Drains
Stainless steel is a low carbon alloy consisting of iron mixed with other elements such as nickel, chromium, manganese, and silicon. The end product will depend on the amount of various elements added to the iron. Chromium is an integral part of stainless steel and is present in a minimum quantity of 10%. Chromium forms a tough, corrosion resistant chromium oxide film on the steel surface that is self-healing when damaged by chemicals.
Properties of Stainless Steel
- Resistant to corrosion
- Resistant to heat and fire
- Low weight and high strength
- Easy to fabricate
- Hygienic and easy to clean
- Aesthetically appealing
- Does not require painting
- High ductility and formability
- High durability
- Long service life
Stainless Steel for Trench Drains
Trench drains are used for the purpose of drainage in commercial, industrial and residential units. Stainless steel trench drains are preferred in places where its properties such as aesthetics, durability, heat resistance, resistance to industrial cleaning agents and resistance to attack from chemicals play an important role. Stainless steel also prevents the build-up of bacteria and grime and is easy to clean.
Application of SS Trench Drain
- Commercial units such as water sports parks, amusement parks, hostel kitchens, restaurants, and medical facilities such as hospitals and nursing homes
- Industrial units such as chicken plants, food processing plants, pharmaceutical companies, chemical plants and breweries
- Residential use such as in swimming pools, shower rooms, indoor garden units, kitchens and porch
Types of Stainless Steel Trench Drains
There are two commonly used types of stainless steel namely 304 and 316 which cannot be distinguished by look but are slightly different in composition.
Type 304 contains 16-25% chromium and 36% nickel with trace amounts of carbon and manganese. This chromium content provides the resistance to oxidation and corrosion. Most of the stainless steel products are manufactured using this steel because it is highly malleable, versatile and very durable.
Type 316 is a marine grade stainless steel, similar in composition to 304 but with varying percentage of elements and an added 2 to 3% of molybdenum. This addition of molybdenum improves the resistance of steel to very corrosive environment that can lead to pitting and crevice corrosion. Highly corrosive environment such as those exposed to salt water in coastal areas, marine application and those using highly acidic products use 316 for drainage purposes.
Stainless steel (SS) trench drains meet F.D.A. standards and have superior anti-corrosive, antibacterial and anti-contaminative properties compared to other materials.
Stainless Steel Trench Drain Products
Josam has a wide selection of stainless steel trench drain products such as:
- SS shower channel
- SS trench drain 6”, 8”, 12” and 16” wide with SS grating
- Heel proof SS slot trench drain (5/16”)
- Standard SS slot trench drain
- Mini 3” wide SS channel/ grating for use with outlet box
Josam 12″ stainless steel channel
Josam 12″ stainless steel grates
Josam chemical resistance guide